The Study of Last Things
by James T. Bartsch
Learning about the Future to Live Better Today
3 "And He will delight in the fear of the Lord, and He will not judge by what His eyes see, nor make a decision by what His ears hear; 4 But with righteousness He will judge the poor, and decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth; and He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked. 5 Also righteousness will be the belt about His loins, and faithfulness the belt about His waist." (Isa. 11:3-5)
(1) Jesus will be supremely anointed with the Holy Spirit (Isa. 11:1-2). This Divine anointing occurred immediately after Jesus' baptism by John the Immerser. Jesus awaits His human anointing. I believe that will happen at the hands of the appropriate Israeli official(s) after His return to earth.
(2) He will not judge by what His eyes see nor by what His ears hear. Instead, He will judge righteous judgment because He knows all things (Isa. 11:3).
(3) The rich and powerful will no longer be able to take advantage of poor and powerless people. Jesus will judge the poor with righteousness and the afflicted with fairness (Isa. 11:4).
(4) He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked (Isa. 11:4).
(5) He will rule as King with righteousness and faithfulness (Isa. 11:5).
(6) Even nature will be remarkably tamed when Jesus rules as King. The following animals will live in peaceful coexistence: wolves and lambs; leopards and goats; calves, young lions, and fat cattle, led by a little boy; cows and bears. Lions will be herbivorous. Children will play around cobras and vipers with no danger. There will be no harmful animals because the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord just as the waters cover the seas (Isa. 11:6-9)!
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB 1995.)
Background and Button Image Credit
Updated April 17, 2021