The Study of Last Things
by James T. Bartsch
Learning about the Future to Live Better Today
"And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory." (Matt. 24:30)
The Second Coming of Christ
(1) The time of Christ’s return: “Immediately after the tribulation of those days” (Matt. 24:29).
(2) The signs that will appear in the heavens:
a) “The sun will be darkened.”
b) “and the moon will not give its light,”
c) “and the stars will fall from the sky,”
d) “and the powers of the heavens will be shaken” (Matt. 24:29).
(3) “And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky,” (Matt. 24:30).
(4) “and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn,” (Matt. 24:30)
(5) “and they will see the sign of the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory” (Matt. 24:30).
(6) “And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other” (Matt. 24:31).
a) This gathering is not to be confused with the gathering of Christ's Church to meet Him in the air (1 Thess. 4:13-18) and ascend with Him to heaven to be with Him in His Father's house (John 14:1-3).
b) Rather, it is the gathering of all Tribulation Saints from all over the world to meet the Lord at His return.
(7) Other Second Coming passages include Isaiah 63:1-6; Zechariah 14:1-15; 2 Thessalonians 1:4-10; Rev. 19:11-21.
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB 1995.)
Background and Button Image Credit
Posted March 26, 2021