1. We are commanded to submit to
the government. (Rom. 13:1a)
- "Every person is
in subjection to the governing authorities."
- This includes (in
America), our Federal Government, our State Government, our County
Government, and, where applicable, our Municipal Government.
2. There are reasons to submit...
- "For there is no
authority except from God,"
- "and those which exist
are established by God."
3. What if someone does not
submit? (Rom. 13:2)
- "Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the
ordinance of God;
- "and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon
4. Understand how governments work. (Rom. 13:3-4a)
- "For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil."
- "Do you want to have no fear of authority?"
- "Do what is good and you will have praise from the same"
- "For it is a minister of God to you for good."
5. If you do evil... (Rom. 13:4b)
- "But if you do what is evil,"
- "for it does not bear the sword for nothing;"
- "for it is a minister of God,"
- "an avenger who brings wrath"
- "on the one who practices evil."
6. The conclusion (Rom. 13:5)
- "Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection,"
- "not only because of wrath,"
- "but also for conscience' sake."
7. Pay your taxes. (Rom. 13:6)
- "For because of this you also pay taxes,"
- "for rulers are servants of God,"
- "devoting themselves to this very thing."
8. Render to all their due. (Rom. 13:7)
- "Render to all what is due them:
- "tax to whom tax is due;"