Inductive Bible Studies
Equipping you to study the Bible on your own.
"Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?" Genesis 3:1b
Temptation - Paradise Infiltrated
Satan's Successful Temptation of Eve and Adam
Based on Genesis 3:1-7 and other Scriptures (Study 4)
Genesis 3 describes a pivotal point in human history. In Genesis 3 man throws away the enormous potential for good God had given him.
1. The snake was a real snake, but a sinister being used the snake for his evil purposes. Who is that sinister being? (Revelation 12:9).
2. This passage shows us that temptation often comes in a disguise. What are some disguises you have noticed Satan using?
3. How is the serpent described in Gen. 3:1a?
4. What was the first tactic Satan used? (Gen. 3:1b).
5. Did the woman, Eve, have an accurate understanding of God’s command? (Gen. 3:2-3). (See Gen. 2:16-17.)
6. What approach did Satan use in Gen. 3:4?
7. How did Satan interpret God’s motives in Gen. 3:5?
8. Was there any truth in what Satan said?
9. List the elements that appealed to Eve in Gen. 3:6.
10. How does Satan’s temptation of Eve compare with his temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4:1-11?
a. Matt. 4:1-4.
b. Matt. 4:5-7.
c. Matt. 4:8-10.
11. How does Satan’s temptation of both Eve and Jesus compare with John’s warning in 1 John 2:15-17?
12. What did Eve do? (Genesis 3:6).
13. What did Adam do? (Genesis 3:6).
14. What happened next? (Genesis 3:7).
15. Whom did God hold responsible? (Romans 5:12, 14; 1 Timothy 2:14).
16. What has God promised about temptation? (1 Corinthians 10:13).
17. What have you learned about Satan and temptation?
Temptation, a Topical Study, based on Genesis 3:1-7 and certain New Testament passages.
Prepared by James T. Bartsch
Originally published February, 2008. Updated November 2, 2018
Published Online by WordExplain.com
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible Study questions are based upon the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE ®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by the Lockman Foundation.
WordExplain by James T. Bartsch
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. Used by Permission.)
Button Bar Credit
Search WordExplain Site Here:
This Page Updated November 2, 2018