Equipping you to study the Bible on your own.
|When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Up, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city." Genesis 19:15|
Mercy in Judgment
A. God Tells Abraham His Plans to Check Out the Evil in Sodom. 18:16-33
1. God Tells Abraham His Plans. 18:16-21. What does God tell Abraham he is planning to do?
2. Abraham Bargains with God to Spare Sodom if Enough Righteous People Can Be Found. 18:22-33.
a. How will God check out the city?
b. What is the final figure agreed to by God with Abraham?
B. Scandal: Lot Tries Desperately to Protect Two Angels. 19:1-11
1. How does Lot treat the two men? (What are they called in 19:1?)
2. How do the men of the city treat the two angels?
3. How do the angels protect Lot?
C. The Angels Frantically Rescue Lot’s Family. 19:12-22. What do the angels urge Lot to do?
D. God Sends a Fiery Judgment on Sodom and Gomorrha. 19:23-29. How does God judge the cities of the plain?
E. Sad Footnote: Lot and His Daughters. 19:30-38.
1. What happened between Lot and his daughters?
2. What are the names of his two sons by his daughters?
3. Lot had deliberately settled in Sodom, a corrupt city. By the end of chapter 19, what all had he lost?
F. Making Some Applications. Why has God recorded this sordid incident in history?
1. It shows the evil nature of man.
2. It demonstrates the lengths God would go to in order to judge sin.
3. It shows the lengths God will go to in order to honor his promise to Abraham to protect the righteous.
4. It demonstrates that sooner or later, sin reaches a point where it must be judged, even in this life.
5. This history shows that some people are attached to the things of this world. They are not prepared to trust God and let go of their possessions to escape judgment. This will indicate, as it did with Lot's wife, their true spiritual condition - they are not righteous people. They will be consumed in judgment.
6. The angels were able by their coming, to indicate who was righteous and who was not. The same will happen when Jesus returns to earth. (Matthew 13:40-42).
Prepared by James T. Bartsch
Published online by WordExplain.com
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible quotations and Bible Study questions are based upon the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE ®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by the Lockman Foundation.
WordExplain by James T. Bartsch
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. Used by Permission.)
This Page Updated March 17, 2014
Button Bar Credit
Search WordExplain Site Here: